The Incorporated Society for Buildings and Churches in 1858 granted £25 towards repewing the Church. The original architect’s plans are shown. Eight seats were named for substantial landowners or tenants of key farms in the village. One farm “The Buildings”, now part of Court Farm, was substantial in size but did not have a named pew (marked “brown" on map). Seats 1 – 8 at the back of the Church were reserved for the poor of the parish.
The 1839 tithe map shows the houses in the named pews and the size of the farms. Also illustrated are details of the occupants according to census returns. There were many orchards and hop fields shown on the Map.
The White House
A farm of 160 acres in 1861 and now a Grade II Listed farmhouse. Owned by John Johnstone in 1839. In the 1861 census there is no reference to a White House but a house named Lower House which is next to Brick House seems to fit the building. It was occupied by John Watkins and his wife and three servants.
The largest farm with 300 acres, owned by Revd. Frederick Ford and occupied by James Farmer Junior from 1839 to at least 1851. In 1861 the tenancy had passed to James Davies whose two sons and a daughter were all born and baptised in the Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity in Preston Wynne. In addition a cowman, a carter, a carters boy and two servants were in occupancy.
In 1839 this was a 100 acre farm and is now a Grade II listed building. It was owned by Thomas Davies and occupied by Ann Kinnersley. By 1861 the farm had reduced to 80 acres and was occupied by William Goodwin and his wife, two carters and a house servant.
A farm of 117 acres. In 1839 it was owned and occupied by John Kinnersley but by 1851 the new occupants were the large Pugh family. This was a big household with a carter and a carter’s boy, an agricultural labourer and a house servant.
Owned by James Hill and occupied by Joseph Blissett in 1839. A farm and cider press of 18 acres with one employed man. A timber framed house with a large apple/cider press and crusher still in place.
Farm of 95 acres, owned and occupied by James Farmer senior. One of his daughters was baptised in the Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity. In 1861 the household consisted of one servant, a carter and a lodger.
Farm of about 50 acres in the south-east corner of the village. Owned and occupied by William Farmer in 1839 but by 1851 William’s son John was occupying the farm. Household also consisted of a carter and his son and a house servant.
The Stone House
Farm of about 30 acres, owned by John Johnstone (who also owned the White House) but occupied by George Warwick Junior. By 1861 the household included a wife and three children and one farm boy.