Holy Trinity Church is an 18th century single cell building with a western tower, constructed of coursed and dressed sandstone beneath a plain clay tile roof. The stone came from a local quarry in Withington and from Broomy Hill.


The west end tower is capped with crenellated parapets with corner pinnacles and has been unaltered. The entrance to the Church is from the west by double early 18th century doors each having five fielded panels under a segmented moulded arch with dropped keystone set beneath a cornice supported by two pilasters (Baroque doorway).


The Church dates from 1727 which is inscribed in the keystone over the west door.
The four bay Gothicised nave (altered between 1858 and 1868 by Thomas Nicholson) formerly had large Georgian windows which were replaced with smaller Gothic style openings, though the outline of the larger windows is still visible on the south side exterior.


Nicholson also raised the roof so the interior has 19th century arch brace collar trusses supported from corbals. In addition he refurbished the Church with new pews.
A number of timbers from the earlier roof structure appear to have been re-used, with redundant sockets visible to the trusses and purlins clad to give the appearance of new timbers.


Three factors combined to achieve the rebuilding of the church in 1727:

  • Concerns over the state of the old chapel.
  • Need for a burial ground (previous burials were in Withington).
  • Presence of a generous and energetic vicar who was able to raise the money and supervise the accounting.
Connect with our local church.